Not everyone has a magnetic personality, but it is something that anyone can develop.
Have you ever asked yourself… Why is it that some people attract a huge crowd, or following?
You know the kind. They enter the room and all of a sudden they are in the middle of a group of people.
The force of their character sees people instinctively drawn to them. For example, they:
- communicate naturally and are more at ease with others.
- exude a quiet self-confidence that makes them so easily approachable.
- get plenty of business referrals.
- inspire and fascinate others.
How do they do this? What makes them different than the Average Joe?
Do they possess some special gift, knack or ability?
Is there something about them that anyone can learn to draw people in close as well?
Absolutely! And, if you have already developed this capacity, you know and possess the ‘magic’ ingredients that many others simply do not practice. 🙂
Before we get to the answer, let’s look at what it is not:
Some people wrongly equate having a magnetic personality with leadership. While there are many leaders who have a magnetic personality, there are just as many without it. Peter Drucker clarified the difference when he said,
“Leadership is not magnetic personality, that can just as well be a glib tongue. It’s not making friends and influencing people. That is flattery. Leadership is lifting a person’s vision to high sights, the raising of a person’s performance to a higher standard, the building of a personality beyond its normal limitations.“
Some people think that a magnetic personality means winning a popularity contest. Deepak Chopra says,
“The secret of attraction is to love yourself. Attractive people judge neither themselves nor others. They are open to gestures of love. They think about love, and express their love in every action. They know that love is not a mere sentiment, but the ultimate truth at the heart of the universe.“
Understanding that loves never competes, but only seeks to complete, you only compete with yourself to be better.
What is that certain something that draws people to them? What is the secret to their magnetic personality?
The answer is charisma. And plenty of it. The charisma of a magnetic personality is revealed in various ways.
Anybody truly wishing to be better will take the time to learn this art and master it.
13 Easy Steps To Developing a Magnetic Personality
- COMMUNICATE CONSIDERATELY. Listen lovingly. Speak sincerely. Due care and consideration of others honors them by being present in the moment with them. Thich Nhat Hanh says, “When you love someone, the best thing you can offer is your presence.” It’s easy to understand why this is so attractive, isn’t it? It’s also a clarion call to checking the spirit with which we communicate. It’s not so much what is said as HOW it is being said; that is an important factor of a pleasing personality. Everybody loves being around kind-hearted, warm-spirited people.
- DEEP DETERMINATION. Those with a deep sense of purpose are determined to succeed in life. They value their time too much to waste it on meaningless efforts or squander it procrastinating. (If you haven’t seen it, I encourage you to read my previous post, 7 Ways To Beat Procrastination.) People love others with a sense of purpose and direction, those who are determined to make a difference.
- ELICIT EXCELLENCE. It has been my experience that when you look only for the best in others, you invariably draw it out of them. I promise you, if you dig deep enough for the treasure, you’re going to find it. This is one the most important attitudes in developing a magnetic personality. Dale Carnegie once said, “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.“
- ENDLESS ENTHUSIASM. Not every day is sunny and not everyone is bubbly, but who doesn’t love being around someone who is enthusiastic? Much more can be done with enthusiasm than without. Wouldn’t you agree? Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm,” and Henry David Thoreau also made note of the fact that, “None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm.“
- HUMOR HELPS Certainly there is a time and place for everything, and, at the right time, humor has its place too. It can be an unexpected ice-breaker or stress reliever, and having a sense of humor makes one much more engaging and delightful to be with. Remember to bring your sense of decency along with you. 🙂
- INTENSELY INTERESTED. The most highly interesting people are those who maintain high levels of interest and curiosity in everything, but especially in others. David Schwartz, in his book, The Magic of Thinking Big, says, “Cultivate the quality of being interesting so people will get something of value from their association with you. Learn all you can in order to be all you can.” Being highly interested, especially in others, keeps you interesting to others.
- LISTEN LOVINGLY. Those with a magnetic personality genuinely want to hear from others and they not only give them their full attention by listening intently, but also make them feel accepted and appreciated. They’re more concerned with others situations and perspectives than they are about trying to be impressive.
- PERFECT PEACE. You may have noticed that people with a magnetic personality are most often calm and composed. This comes from healthy self-esteem. Their unflappability immediately puts others at ease, too. They also know the importance of minding their mind, never allowing circumstances to dictate or control their outcomes.
- POSITIVE PERCEPTION. Maintaining a true reflection of who you really are at the core is vital to your healthy self-esteem. Remind yourself… “I AM TRULY BEAUTIFUL!” As you age, this one thing will always be true, and that is, even though you will change, you will always BE the same beautiful you that you have always been. Know, affirm and radiate this truth about yourself.
- REFLECT RADIANCE. People know positive energy when they see it. They feel the glow and they bask in it. People are really attracted to anyone who presents to the world the warmth and radiance of their inner beauty. Captivate others with your big, beautiful brilliance. 🙂 Aren’t there already enough people out there raining on someone else’s parade?
- SELFLESS SERVANT. Those with a magnetic personality always take the concerns, interests, and viewpoints of others into consideration because they have learned the importance of being selfless. Their giving attitude asks, “What can I bring to the table?” … “What value can I add here?” … “How can I make this easier for others?” When you are sensitive to the needs of others, you are able to learn of and meet those needs. This also inspire the confidence of others.
- SMILE SINCERELY. A smile is simply the brilliance of your inner beauty shining through. (Tweet this!) When you develop this capacity by giving it away, you are signal to others that you approachable. It takes a lot fewer muscles to smile than it does to frown, so why not light up an entire room with your wonderful warmth and charisma? 🙂
- WHY WORRY? Don’t concern yourself with what others think about you. You cannot control what they think about you anyway, so don’t worry about making a good impression. Simply be yourself. People appreciate your honesty when you always show your true colors.
You see, it true. Anyone can apply these principles and develop a MAGNETIC PERSONALITY.
Over To You Now … Have Your Say…
Which of these principles speaks loudest to you?
Are there principles of a magnetic personality that you want to add to this list?
I love learning and want to hear from you. Please add your valuable thoughts and insights here.
Thank you kindly!