Excuses! There must be as many as there are stars in the universe. There is also an enormous distance between A)the many cop-outs and cover-ups, and B)the reality of one great reason that aligns with your purpose and moves you closer to your dreams.
The Problem Of Excuses
One of the main problems with excuses is that not one of them will ever help you reach your goals.
Consider also that they cause:
- delayed decisions.
- emotional pain.
- lowered expectations.
- paralyzed progress.
- real regrets.
If you tend to make excuses and you’re serious about your goals for the brand new year coming, you’ll want to know how to be better and do better, right?
So, why do we make excuses, anyway?
If you really don’t find value in an objective or a goal, you will find any excuse to justify an out. Some people are so good at making excuses, they have one tailor made for every occasion. You know the kind:
Excuse #11… “I don’t have enough time.” You have the same time that any successful person has ever had.
Excuse #23… “I’m not smart enough.” Who told you that? You are a genius!
Excuse #37… “It’s too late for me to change.” Not as long as you’re drawing breath it isn’t.
Excuse #41… “The planets are out of alignment.” No, excuses are misalignments with your purpose.
Benjamin Franklin said,
“He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else.“
People tend to make excuses because:
» excuses are a convenient way to cover up insecurities or mask inadequacies.
» false assumptions lead them to the wrong conclusions.
» false beliefs lead them to the wrong priorities.
» fear is the culprit holding them back in life… fear of failure, fear of rejection.
» it’s easier to avoid embarrassment.
» of a lousy outlook on life, and therefore, see no need to participate.
» some people are completely unreasonable.
» they wish to avoid accepting responsibility.
» they wish to avoid being blamed.
In the previous post on OPPORTUNITY, the 6th point I made was to ELIMINATE EXCUSES.
So what can you do if you’re infected with “excusitis?”
Excuses Begone! 22 Ways To Eliminate Excuses Entirely
- ACTIVE AWARENESS. Higher self awareness sheds light on the ego. When you develop the awareness that “with God all things are possible” (Matthew 19:26) you eradicate excuses and make manifest what you desire.
- ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT. A poor attitude might have you saying things, such as, “I’m not qualified.” or “That’s never going to happen.” The Master Motivator, Zig Ziglar, was famous for saying, “Quit your stinkin’ thinkin’ and get a check-up from the neck up.” Your priorities change the instant you change your attitude. Why not make it a change for the better? No excuses!
- AVOID ALIBIS. People can see right through lies and alibis. Tell the truth to begin with. You’ll certainly have less to remember. CULTIVATING CREDIBILITY is much more meaningful, wouldn’t you agree?
- BE BLUNT. Be totally honest with yourself. Take time for INTERNAL INVENTORY. Examine every area of your life. Notice the effect excuses have had on you, and you will realize how they’ve held you back as well as motivate you to be better.
- BEYOND BOUNDARIES. What would going beyond your boundaries look like? Sometime people settle for can’t and end up using that as a reason to not move forward. Let your CANT mean Cancel All Negative Thinking.
- BREAKING BAD. Carlos Santana said, “Most people don’t have that willingness to break bad habits. They have a lot of excuses and talk like victims.” How willing are you?
- CANCEL COMPLAINTS. Be your own speech therapist. Eliminate, from your vocabulary, all the reasons why you can’t do something! Replace complaints with commendable words of affirmation.
- CONTINUOUS CONTEMPLATION. Minding your mind or monitoring your thoughts allows you to pay attention to when you’re using excuses as a crutch. Kick out the crutches and walk away free. 🙂
- DEEP DETERMINATION. How determined are you to live a life of purpose? Certainly, anyone who is ON PURPOSE makes no excuses.
- DISPEL DOUBTS. You may have been told or you might have come to believe that you aren’t good enough, aren’t smart enough, etc. Is that REALLY true? Allay your fears and dispel your doubts by looking to the truth. You are better at some things than anyone else. You are smarter at certain things than many people. Believe in yourself!
- ENERGETIC ENTHUSIASM. When there’s a fire in your belly to be better and make the most of every moment, when you have energy and the passion to succeed… no matter what, you feed your purpose and starve excuses.
- EXERT EFFORT. When you’re willing to try, you expend extra energy enacting the things that matter. Action is an instant excuse killer.
- FIND FREEDOM. Imagine living completely free of the excuses that hold you back. What does this look like? What does it feel like? When you identify what that freedom feels like, you won’t look back. You’ll begin to live each day without excuses.
- IDENTIFY ISSUES. What is holding you back? Is your comfort zone really more important than personal growth? List the excuses you make. How can things be better? What can you do differently? Examine POSITIVE POSSIBILITIES. When you find answers within to these questions, say goodbye to those excuses!
- KEEN KNOWLEDGE. Understanding why people make excuses is important because awareness of them can serve as a gatekeeper. Knowing why leads to the way, and you can use this as a red-flag in guarding yourself against making excuses.
- MINDSET MAKEOVER. Envision excuses as unwanted guests that have overstayed their welcome. Make room for positive replacement habits by evicting all the excuses that currently occupy your mind.
- MOTIVATION MOTTO. Adopt a positive, meaningful motto to be your motivation, such as “Just do it!” or “Oh, yes, I can!” Repeating this motto as an affirmation provides positive reinforcement. Let this motto serve to strengthen you.
- POSITIVE PEOPLE. Associate with those who will keep you encouraged and motivated to fulfil your purpose. Avoid the naysayers, the scoffers, negative thinkers and excuse makers.
- POSITIVE POSSIBILITIES. Jim Rohn said, “Any day you wish, you can change your whole life.” Is there any possibility of being better? Always look to the opposite side of an excuse for your answer.
- QUICK QUESTIONS. Ask yourself a few simple questions. How are excuses effecting you? For example… are they causing regrets? … stifling success? … causing you to settle for less? Learning their effects helps you know why they need to be eliminated.
- SHIFT SIGHTS. Many excuses are made from fear. Focus on love, not fear. Set your sights on wins, not losses. Shifting the focus to alternative options is always a healthy choice.
- TRY THINGS. Be open minded and learn news ways of doing things. Soon, you will have increased your life experience to the point where you won’t see the need for excuses.
In summary, there are two words that really put all these things together: REPEAT REGULARLY! 🙂
For the acronym buffs, EXCUSES are…
Every eXpedient Coverup Undermines Stalls Everyday Success
Have Your Say…
How much more can be accomplished without excuses?
Do you have a method you would add to the list?
I value your input. Please contribute your thoughts here. Thank you so much!
May your burdens be light and your blessings heavy!