Thanksgiving is the heartfelt expression of appreciation to God and to each other.
In my heart, every day should be Thanksgiving! Why shouldn’t it? There is always so much to be thankful for.
I love Thanksgiving! It’s such a festive time of year. You may have noticed that Thanksgiving in the US is six days later this year than last. What’s interesting about this, is that it coincides with the 8 day Jewish ‘Festival of Lights’ known as Hanukkah, which began last night and runs until Thursday, December 5th.
With love and appreciation, I say “Happy Thanksgiving” to all my friends in the US and elsewhere celebrating, and “Happy Hanukkah” to my Jewish friends. May your lives be filled with blessings.
Reasons for Thanksgiving
- God, whose steady hand continues to guide my life. Psalms 95:2 says, “Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms.” This is just one of the 28 times Thanksgiving is mentioned in the Bible.
- For my wife, Colleen, to whom I can honestly say, “I love you more with each passing day.” Thank you for blessing me in every way. The best is yet to be.
- For my daughter Laura, featured here, who I am most proud to be her “Daddy-O.” Thank you, Laura, for every beautiful memory. I love you PWAML.
- For friends, old and new, near and far, who have in many ways, all helped to make me who I am today. For every kindness shown to me, I am most appreciative.
- For the hundreds of police officers and emergency service workers I know that keep us safe every day. You are all unsung heroes and among the finest human beings.
- For health, and the help of many great doctors and surgeons. Thank you for saving my life Dr. Valsa Thomas.
- For the opportunities we have had to touch lives around the world… churches, community centres, disaster sites, orphanages, seniors centres. We have been privileged to serve you.
- For living in such pristine beauty, for scenic sunrises and spectacular sunsets, for majestic mountains, lakes and streams.
- For websites such as Simple Reminders, TED and Values that keep me inspired every day.
For all who have visited my blog, commented, subscribed and shared on social media, for those of you who helped me with website issues, or answered questions on how things work, I could not have made it this far without you. I am so very grateful.
I thank you for your ongoing encouragement and inspiration, and especially for teaching yourself to me. I really appreciate you!
In the spirit of gratitude and thankfulness, here are…
31 Great Quotes of Thanksgiving and Appreciation
- A thankful heart is not only the greatest virtue, but the parent of all other virtues. ~ Cicero
- At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. ~ Albert Schweitzer
- Blessed are those that can give without remembering and receive without forgetting. ~ Elizabeth Bibesco
- Develop an attitude of gratitude, and give thanks for everything that happens to you, knowing that every step forward is a step toward achieving something bigger and better than your current situation. ~ Brian Tracy
- Every time we remember to say “thank you”, we experience nothing less than heaven on earth. ~ Sarah Ban Breathnach
- Feeling grateful or appreciative of someone or something in your life actually attracts more of the things that you appreciate and value into your life. ~ Christiane Northrup
- For what I have received may the Lord make me truly thankful. And more truly for what I have not received. ~ Storm Jameson
- Gratitude helps you to grow and expand; gratitude brings joy and laughter into your life and into the lives of all those around you. ~ Eileen Caddy
- Gratitude is something of which none of us can give too much. For on the smiles, the thanks we give, our little gestures of appreciation, our neighbors build their philosophy of life. ~ A. J. Cronin
- Gratitude is the inward feeling of kindness received. Thankfulness is the natural impulse to express that feeling. Thanksgiving is the following of that impulse. ~ Henry Van Dyke
- Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow. ~ Melody Beattie
- He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has. ~ Epictetus
- If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough. ~ Meister Eckhart
- If you are really thankful, what do you do? You share. ~ W. Clement Stone
- If you concentrate on finding whatever is good in every situation, you will discover that your life will suddenly be filled with gratitude, a feeling that nurtures the soul. ~ Rabbi Harold Kushner
- In everyone’s life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit. ~ Albert Schweitzer
- In ordinary life we hardly realize that we receive a great deal more than we give, and that it is only with gratitude that life becomes rich. ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. ~ Marcel Proust
- Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn’t learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn’t learn a little, at least we didn’t get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn’t die; so, let us all be thankful. ~ Buddha
- Make it a habit to tell people thank you. To express your appreciation, sincerely and without the expectation of anything in return. Truly appreciate those around you, and you’ll soon find many others around you. Truly appreciate life, and you’ll find that you have more of it. ~ Ralph Marston
- None is more impoverished than the one who has no gratitude. Gratitude is a currency that we can mint for ourselves, and spend without fear of bankruptcy. ~ Fred De Witt Van Amburgh
- No one who achieves success does so without the help of others. The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude. ~ Alfred North Whitehead
- People who live the most fulfilling lives are the ones who are always rejoicing at what they have. ~ Richard Carlson
- The grateful mind is constantly fixed upon the best. Therefore it tends to become the best. It takes the form or character of the best, and will receive the best. ~ Wallace D. Wattles
- The thankful receiver bears a plentiful harvest. ~ William Blake
- The unthankful heart discovers no mercies; but the thankful heart will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings.” ~ Henry Ward Beecher
- There is a calmness to a life lived in Gratitude, a quiet joy. ~ Ralph H. Blum
- To educate yourself for the feeling of gratitude means to take nothing for granted, but to always seek out and value the kind that will stand behind the action. Nothing that is done for you is a matter of course. Everything originates in a will for the good, which is directed at you. Train yourself never to put off the word or action for the expression of gratitude. ~ Albert Schweitzer
- To live a life of gratitude is to open our eyes to the countless ways in which we are supported by the world around us. Such a life provides less space for our suffering because our attention is more balanced. We are more often occupied with noticing what we are given, thanking those who have helped us, and repaying the world in some concrete way for what we are receiving. ~ Gregg Krech
- When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around. ~ Willie Nelson
- You simply will not be the same person two months from now after consciously giving thanks each day for the abundance that exists in your life. And you will have set in motion an ancient spiritual law: the more you have and are grateful for, the more will be given you. ~ Sarah Ban Breathnach
I encourage you to take a few minutes to watch this video by Brene Brown:
Let’s keep thanksgiving in our heart every day. 🙂
Have Your Say…
What are you most thankful for this Thanksgiving?
What are your favorite Thanksgiving memories?
Please let me know your thoughts in the comments here. Thank you kindly!