VITALITY is the POWER of your PURPOSE.
When I hear the word vitality, I think of the Latin phrase, “Vita Brevis.” Translated, it means “Life is brief.”
Many people wonder their whole lives… “What is the meaning of life?
Some say the meaning of life is to have a life of meaning.
The wisest thing I’ve ever heard about the power of your purpose, was stated by Joseph Campbell,
“LIFE has no meaning. Each of us has meaning and we bring it to life. It is a waste to be asking the question when YOU ARE the answer.”
WHAT exactly is VITALITY?
Quite often people think of vitality as mental vigor or as the capacity to survive.
These are certainly important aspects. But I would like to approach this topic from another angle.
I think that VITALITY is what it takes to win in life. Without the power to live, grow and thrive, one is dull, drab and dreary.
VITALITY is your ambition to achieve… the drive in your determination… your inner initiative.
It is the bounce in your buoyancy… the energy you put into your efforts… your get up and go!
VITALITY is the … the impetus to improve… the momentum of your motivation… the pep in your pizzazz.
VITALITY is what I call your “INNER WINNER.” Finnish poet Edith Södergran said,
“The inner fire is the most important thing mankind possesses.”
Here are some questions designed to STRENGTHEN your inner winner…
to help you find the power of your purpose. Ask yourself:
- WHAT is it your heart really resonates with?
- What is it that really gives you the motivation to get moving every morning?
- What are your core values… your basic beliefs… your highest ideals?
- How committed are you to bring out the best in yourself? Is there ever a good reason to hide this?
- What actionable steps are you taking to accomplish your goals and objectives? As I’ve said before, “The staircase to SUCCESS is built entirely of ACTIONABLE STEPS.“
- How daring are you? What risks are you willing you take to succeed?
- How willing are you to be fully alive? … to make the most of your life?
- What are your TOP THREE priorities for this week?
- How do you plan to add value to others? Make a list of all the ways.
You may find it helpful to allow yourself the time to really reflect on these questions.
These are very personal questions. HOW you answer them defines who you become.
9 Ways to Supercharge Your Vitality
- CHEERFUL COUNTENANCE. A cheerful countenance beats a dour disposition any day. “If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands!” You likely remember that lyrical line. Sometimes though, it is easy to get caught up in the busyness of life and lose our sense of ha-ha. Remind your face how happy you are. Remember to laugh. Smile brightly. 🙂 Lighten up and live!
- EAGER EXPECTATION. When you place EAGER in front of EXPECT, you have a potent combination for success. What goals do you eagerly expect to achieve in the next month? What degree of DRIVING DETERMINATION will see that you accomplish all that you desire this year? Always having something to look forward to boosts your vitality.
- ENERGETIC ENGAGEMENT. Notwithstanding that we all need a balance between activity and rest, it is important to remain engaged in life. Lax and lethargic won’t help you. Do you remember Newton’s First Law of Motion? It states, “A body at rest will remain at rest unless an outside force acts on it, and a body in motion at a constant velocity will remain in motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an outside force.” GET GOING! Don’t be busy for the sake of being busy. Make it meaningful by being energetically engaged. This way opportunity will meet success.
- ENOUGH EXERCISE. Getting enough exercise is great for stamina strengthening. The proper levels of regular exercise maintain your vital organs, keep your skin radiant, and your countenance cheerful. 🙂 You also have more energy and feel more alive after exercising.
- INCREASE INTERESTS. The more you increase interests in life, in learning and growing, the more your supercharge your vitality. Life begets life. Keep it interesting. Learn as much as possible every day.
- LIMITLESS LOVE. Love like there is no tomorrow. As far as possible, love everyone you meet by accepting them as they are, and showing them respect. Focus on making a real difference. BE LOVE TO OTHERS. Spanish philosopher José Ortega y Gasset said, “Love is that splendid triggering of human vitality the supreme activity which nature affords anyone for going out of himself toward someone else.“
- NECESSARY NUTRITION. When you see the word nutrition, think of the word nurture. Having a healthy, balanced diet includes getting the necessary nutrition. This ensures that you keep your immune system strong
- POSITIVE PEOPLE. In his book “Travels with Charley: In Search of America,” John Steinbeck makes a curious comment. “Strange how one person can saturate a room with vitality, with excitement. Then there are others, and this dame was one of them, who can drain off energy and joy, can suck pleasure dry and get no sustenance from it. Such people spread a grayness in the air about them.” Surround yourself with enthusiastic energizers — those who bolster, edify and encourage you.
- SUFFICIENT SLEEP. Getting regular rest is especially important to your overall health and well-being. Even though people know this, they don’t get a sound sleep that is instrumental in restoring their body. Rather than burning the candle at both ends, listen to your body and get your required rest.
For the acronym buffs, VITALITY is…
Vigorous Intensity Transforms Ambitious Living Into Today’s You
Over To You…
Are there other things you would add to this list? I’d like to know.
Please add value by contributing your thoughts here. Thank you so much.
Remember: You’ve got what it takes to BE SUCCESSFUL!
Have a SPLENDID day, friends!
*Post updated from 2013/02